One day while I had the door open we had an unexpected visitor... a hummingbird!
In our home we have a roof that starts at about 10 feet and then goes up to about 15 feet in our main room. At the highest point of 15 feet we have 3 windows that let in a lot of light.
Well, this little guy flew in our door and then became determined to leave only through one of these windows... which are too high for me to reach.
Needless to say I was at a loss for words of how to resolve the situation.
https://vimeo.com/94582344
I ended up closing all of our blinds for the other windows and left the door open hoping that the little guy would be attracted to the greatest amount of light coming in from the door. Well... it was a good thought in theory but it still insisted on trying to get out through one of these high windows .
Eventually I just decided that when the little guy got tired enough it would come down lower and see the door as the open exit and leave. There was nothing I could really do except wait. No use in stopping my daily activities so I went about them as normal.
I can say that for our cats this was the most exciting day that they had had in a long time. They were thoroughly entertained by the bird. It was actually thanks to one of our cats that I was finally able to catch our visitor.
![]() |
| Look just to the left of the corner of the ceiling and you can see the bird flying. |
I didn't hang on to it for too long. Just long enough to show my neighbors (who are big bird enthusiasts) and to snap a couple of pictures. Shortly thereafter it took flight and was gone.
![]() |
Needless to say, both little birds were strong enough to survive the trauma of being held by a human and have lived to tell the tale (as far as I know that is). Hummingbirds in the home, good times.



No comments:
Post a Comment