Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Saturday, August 16, 2014

4th of July

For 4th of July we celebrated with a BBQ at Eric's parents place.  Steve use a BBQ that Eric had made with a metal garbage can during his high school years in his welding class.  Kind of crazy that it still works, and the meat was so yummy!

I figured since it was the 4th that this would be a prime opportunity for us to have a family picture taken, all of us decked out in our red, white and blue. 



After we all got done stuffing our faces with yumminess of ribs, frog eye salad, potato salad, veggies and soda, we then went outside to enjoy of a Roach family 4th of July tradition: the Watermelon Smash.

I had never heard of a watermelon smash before meeting the Roaches, but apparently in Eric's family it is a tradition that goes back a number of generations.  It consists of exactly what it sounds like, watermelons being smashed.  More specifically all little kids each get their own watermelon and they take turns raising it above their heads and throwing it down on to the concrete with all their might to "smash" it open.  It is actually quite entertaining to watch.


Gabriel was just a bit too young to hold his own watermelon, let alone smash it.  But that did not stop him from eating it and enjoying every handful.  This is definitely a tradition that I want to keep up no matter where we go. 




I think he likes watermelon, what do you think?



  Even though we didn't stay up to see any fireworks, I would have to say that this year's 4th of July was a success.  There will be plenty of years in the future that we will partake of the firework festivities, believe you me.  I have to say that fireworks are one of my favorite things about 4th of July.  So, until then we will be doing awesome BBQs and watermelon smashes, just like this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment