Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

S'mores, Fire and Friends

I think one of my all time favorite desserts is S'mores.  I just love having an open fire, roasting marshmallows on a stick, watching as the pure sugary goodness fattens and begins to turn a lovely golden brown color, and then when the moment is just right you take the marshmallow and place it on a pre-made Hershey's chocolate and Graham cracker bed.  As you use the other graham cracker to slide the marshmallow from the stick it just starts to ooze a little bit.  Then, as you take that first delectable bite, letting the fire warmed gooeyness of the mallow melt the chocolate into the crispiness of the graham cracker it is just the perfect combination of yumminess! 

The only thing that makes having s'mores better is being able to sit next to the fire feeling the warmth spread from head to toe.  Especially on cold winter evenings having a fire just makes winter winter.  That is one thing that I miss a lot about not living with my parents, not having a fireplace of my own.  Well, actually that is a lie because we do have a fireplace, but we don't have the firewood and the access to storing the wood in a "backyard".  The way my parents have it is just prime.  Plus my dad has this awesome recliner that sits just next to the fireplace which has the perfect set-up for roasting and toasting.  Of course if my father is home then he gets to sit in his designated spot (it is "Papi's chair" - bought especially for bonding time with the grandkids).

In December Gabriel got his first experience of enjoying one of "Papi's infamous fires".  His reaction was just priceless, and I got it on video!

https://vimeo.com/88219466

I love his cute giggles!  He is so adorable.  I love how being around him makes me remember the simple joys and pleasures that this life has to offer, like s'mores. :D

I got to enjoy a fair amount of s'more sessions at my parents in December.  One of the times I got to spend it with my best friend Sarah and her husband Neil.  I had not had the chance to see Sarah in about a year and a half, since she got married in August of 2012.  She came down to spend some of the holiday season with her family.  I designated 1 day where we could hang and catch-up, and it was wonderful.
Sarah and Neil meeting Gabriel for the 1st time
I love how with certain friends, that even when you don't speak for months at a time, it is as though it was only yesterday.  The conversation just flows and you pick up right where you left off.  That is what is was like with Sarah.  I am always reminded why she is my best friend.










I thoroughly enjoyed spending the day with her and Neil.  And because they were in town in December we did do s'mores together.  They were delectable. 

My dad, Sarah and Neil roasting the mallows


The best way to get the mallow on to the graham.. sort of
Sarah and Neil are such a fun couple. I look forward to the next time I get to see them and spend some time with them.

So, s'mores, fire and friends... doesn't get much better than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment