Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Last ROTC Dining Out

Every year in the spring semester the ROTC has this really fancy dinner called Dining Out.  It is typically held end of April, just a couple of weeks before the semester ends.  From what I can tell it is an excuse for the military people to get all dressed up in their military dress/attire and for their guests to get all gussied up in fancy dresses (for the ladies) and suits/tuxedoes (for the men folk).

Posing outside of Old Main on ASU Campus
This year's Dining Out was Eric's last one.  I am more than certain that we will have our fair share of opportunities to attend fancy military events in the future, which will give me ample excuses to get all dolled up and what not. 

Back to Dining Out.  Every year the event has been a bit different because of different locations and people in charge of planning the event.  This year we were at a Hilton hotel in South Scottsdale.  There was a cocktail/social hour at the beginning, and then we were allowed into the ballroom.  Because Eric was, well in essence, 2nd in command over all the cadets, we (Eric and I) had the opportunity to sit at the head table.  In years past we were assigned to sit at tables with other friends and ROTC cadets.  But not this year. We got to sit up front and center where everyone could see us.  And because we were at the head table, we actually entered the room after everyone else and they all had to stand as we entered.  They couldn't even be seated until we were in the room and positioned at our spots on the table.  I figured it would be just my luck that as we were walking in the room with all eyes on us that I would probably trip over my extremely large and swollen cankles/feet, fall flat on my face thus breaking my water and throwing me into labor right then and there.  Thankfully that did not happen and I was able to enter and exit without creating too much of a scene.

I say "too much" because I felt that I was notice by all.  I mean, how can you not notice the girl who is 8+ months pregnant and looks like she could pop at any moment?  Yeah, my point exactly.  But more than that, I was the girl who was just as much pregnant last year at Dining Out as I was this year. 
2013 - Pregnant with Gabriel

2014 - Pregnant with Mikaela
















I got a lot of comments from dates who I had seen last year and they were in attendance again this year. 

8+ Months Pregnant with Gabriel - 2013
"What, pregnant again?  Um, actually no, this is the same pregnancy as last year.  Yeah, the little guy decided to cook an extra year before being born."  Come on people, of course I was pregnant again!  Not very many people can have that claim to fame.

Anywho, we marched in and got settled at our tables.  They do some ritual opening exercise type things of color guard marching in the flags, official toasts, honoring the POWs, etc before they serve dinner.  After dinner there was the guest speaker who shared some of his life experiences with us.  Then came some funny presentations... well more like "Senior Roast" making fun of each and every graduating cadet by Wing Commander.  It was actually quite hilarious.  Eric was made fun of for being very by the book and that he would have safety regulations written up for his kids before they would be allowed to play at the park, most likely to have 3 kids before entering active duty, and that he would be the official Designated Driver with his family shagging wagon for all future military events.  Good times!  I was laughing so hard that I almost felt like I was going to wet myself.  Thank goodness for what little bit of bladder control I still had.  Following the Senior Roast it was time for the infamous Grog, and then good-bye parting gifts for the departing Cadre.  Once all was said and done we (the head table) exited the room and the evening was complete.

This year they actually had reserved the ballroom until midnight such that those of age could stay and drink and dance to their heart's content rather then going out and getting wasted and into lots of trouble (which happened the year before).  Eric and I opted not to stay for the drinking and dancing because we had a baby sitter who we needed to relieve and my oompa loompa feet
Check out the cankles!  Picture doesn't do it justice
 wouldn't have allowed for much movement besides regular travel of walking. 

All in all it was a very pleasant and enjoyable evening.   It was the best Dining Out experience that I have had the chance attending thus far.  I know a big factor to this is because I had more of a history with the people who were in attendance and I was more familiar with the activities that would happen.  I remember my first year and it was quite interesting, if not awkward.  Eric had invited his parents to attend (graduating seniors were allowed to bring more than 1 guest) and I had to wonder what was going through their minds as they got to witness this small part of Eric's life. 
Eric and his parents: Steve and Jan at Dining Out
For me, by now I am used to what to expect and it was a lot of fun.   

I look forward to future fancy military nights where great memories can be created.  And I especially hope that I won't be pregnant again so that if there is dancing we can stay and shake it all night long.

2012


2013




2014

No comments:

Post a Comment