Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Veteran's Day Parade

For Veteran's Day the ASU ROTC was able to volunteer for the Tempe Veteran's Day Parade.  The parade went from ASU Tempe campus up Mill Avenue and ended at Tempe Beach Park.  Most of the cadets participated by marching in the parade in full military dress.
 Those in the parade had to be on campus early to be aligned properly with all other participating groups and were going to be busy marching for a number of hours.  Instead of being committed to such a big chunk of the day Eric and a couple of other cadets volunteered by helping set up the tables and tents at the end of the parade at Tempe Beach Park.  There was a lunch set up of hot dogs and chips for all those attending.  Once everyone had enjoyed their fill Eric and these other cadets were in charge of taking down the tents and tables.
 I would say that they got the better deal in the volunteering vs. those marching in the parade.  Gabriel and I were able to come and attend the parade.  Because Eric wasn't marching he came and watched with us. 




The weather was gorgeous and it was a perfect day to have a parade.  It was really amazing to see the veterans participating in the parade.  A lot of the men served in WWII, the Vietnam War and the Korean War.  When I think about the these historic wars, it seems like they are just a story that people talk about.  But when I saw the men who had served in the wars, had been soldiers and fought for our country, it brought everything into perspective and made it more real.  It was a great day to honor those men and all others who have sacrificed so much for this land.  I imagine that the main reason I am more sentimental about this is because of Eric and the career path that he has chosen in the military.  My exposure to military life is just beginning.  It will be an adventure.  All that is left to say to those who have served, are serving, and will serve in this country's military to defend out country and sacrifice everything that they are, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment