Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Outing on Wheels

For my birthday I wanted rollerblades, and that is exactly what I got!  Not like I went to the store, tried them on and skated around on them a bit, took the box up to the cashier and paid for them myself by swiping my own card or anything.... In Eric's defense, he was there too, as we bought his own birthday present - a brand new pair of running/work out shoe. 

I have been wanting rollerblades for quite some time.  Running isn't the best option of an outdoor activity for me and I get kind of bored walking.  And since having Gabriel, I don't have the ability to go to the gym with the same kind of freedom as I did before.  So, the rollerblades seemed like a good fit for the situation.  And as luck would have, I got my wish for my birthday.

Can I just say how much I love to rollerblade?  I do, I love rollerblading!  I forgot how much I liked it.  I remember the very first time I ever went rollerblading.  I put on the blades, and immediately started skating, no problem.  I remember it feeling so natural and I had no issues.  It was glorious.  And now as an adult I have been able to re-experience those same feelings of enjoyment.

Eric and I decided that we wanted to start going on more fun family outings, especially the lesser expensive type hehehe.  So one night we decided to do an "outing on wheels".  We went down to Tempe Town Lake where they have a concrete pathway that goes right alongside the man-made lake.  In total, it is probably about 6 miles to go completely around the lake on this pathway.   I was on my rollerblades, Eric was on his longboard, and Gabriel was coasting along in the stroller.

What a pro!
Check out the lake behind me!  Pretty sweet.

  It was a blast!!  Now that the weather is starting to cool off, it was perfect temperature to be outside.  And it gave us a really good chance to chitchat and enjoy one another's company.  We started off by the 9/11 Memorial site with all the flags and then went from there all around the entire lake. 









There was even this really cool bridge that at night is lit up with blue lights.


 I think that Gabriel really enjoyed that part... or at least was awake for that part before he crashed.


 I can guarantee that that won't be the last time we will do a family outing on wheels now that I have had a taste of it. 

I just love the idea of being more active in our family life.  I do not want for my family to grow up as couch potatoes.  I wasn't allowed to watch a lot of TV as a kid, and I plan on raising my kids the exact same way.  There are so many fun things out in the world and I want to experience them all, not just me, but my family too.  I am especially excited as the weather is cooling off and fall is in full swing with winter not too far off.  It is becoming that time of year why people love to live in Arizona.  If only the snowbirds could learn to toughen up during the summer months. 

Even still, rollerblading is now a re-found favorite past-time that I am so excited to be doing again.  All I have to do now is start saving up for a bike!  The family outings on wheels will only get more exciting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment