Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Final Weeks Pre-Parenthood

End of April and May were full of lots of unexpected and planned activities.  And considering the fact that our little bundle of joy arrived more than 2 weeks early, I am going to be content doing a recap of those final 4 weeks pre-Gabriel in this one blog.  Probably better this way so that I am not rambling on about activities going into way too much detail when a few words would suffice.  So, wish me luck on this entry. 

Now, on to the activities that kept us so busy up until Gabriel's birth.

#1 - Dining Out
Each year in the spring the ROTC holds a fancy dinner for the cadets and 1 guest to attend.  All the cadets and commanding officers are all dressed in their official military get-up and all the rest of us guests have an excuse to wear fancy clothes - think high school prom fancy.  This year they did a change of command ceremony for all of us guests and we got to witness them marching around all military style.  It was a lot of fun to see just what exactly goes on in this aspect of Eric's life and getting to witness him as "Cadet Roach".


So handsome in his military uniform.  Definitely looks like a pilot!


Like I said, an excuse to get dressed up fancy.
Change of command ceremony


Where's Eric? Hint - Front Row, 4th from the Left

#2 - Eric's Black Eye
You know, sometimes in a marriage you have to use a little bit of muscle to keep your spouse in line and that is exactly what I had to do.  I had to teach Eric a lesson and I hope he will remember it for the future... ok, not really hehehe.  Let's just say that Eric had a fight with the carpet and his 60lb backpack and he lost.  This was his first black eye ever and I wanted to document it, especially to use as incentive for our kids not to get out of line in the future hehehe.
Day of the accident with my handi-dandy first-aid work
Day 2
Close-up Day 2
Day 3
Close-up Day 3 - Check out the coloring, perty ain't it?
Day 4
Close-up Day 4
Day 5
Close-up Day 5 - She's a beauty!

#3 - Move #6
I know that we are military and will be moving around a lot in the future, but I guess that Heavenly Father wants for us to get some extra practice because we moved....again.  Since the time that we have been married (2 years) we have now moved 6 times...kind of ridiculous.  Nevertheless, looking back on it we know for a fact that we made the right choice.  It was one of those things where the idea kind of popped up a couple of months ago, and the idea just never went away.  Typically that is how Heavenly Father works with me.  He just lets the idea stay in my brain and I become fixated upon whatever the idea is and start to work out the logistics of it all the while praying to know if it is the right choice we are doing.  And in my history 9 times out of 10 it has been exactly what Heavenly Father has wanted for me to do, so I guess it is a good thing that I am listening.  So, the idea came up, and things fell into place such that we knew we were to move.  This time it wasn't too big of a move, only about 7 or 8 miles from where we were before.  We did move into a different stake and ward, which was a bummer for us.  We really wanted to stay in our old ward but that just wasn't in the cards for us. Besides that one bit of a downer, everything else has been very positive and has been a testimony to us that we made the right choice.

Here are the blessings of having moved:
-We no longer have the smell of cigarette smoke permeating inside of our home making it seem like we live in a Motel 6.
-We don't have to walk past a window of our neighbors where they smoke 24/7 just to get to our front door... poor layout planning I say of whoever built the condos.
-Our walls are thicker, so we don't have to hear anymore neighbor noises of coughing, water in the pipes, or adult entertainment late in the evenings (ahem.... yeah...)
-Washer and dryer (which are ours!) are inside the house (no more underwear runs from the garage to the house)
-We have some amazing neighbors who are very friendly... we never even spoke to our other neighbors even though we lived there for almost 9 months.  Definitely wouldn't have called it Mr. Roger's neighborhood for sure.
-Way cheaper rent and electricity so we are saving money, which is always a good thing on a starving student income.   I look forward to a day when we won't be on a starving student income, just a starving military income.
-1 story - I think that this is probably more of a benefit to Eric more than to me. I never grew up with stairs but Eric did as a child.  Not only has he tripped as a child going up and down the stairs, he did it a number of times in our last place.  Lets not forget to add in the fact of a pregnant wife who constantly would ask for food 2-3xs a night from down in the kitchen... Yeah, I think Eric is especially happy this place is on the ground floor. 

We are still slowly moving in and settling the place to make it our own.  Perhaps someday it will be fully moved into and I will take pictures and send them out in a blog, but that is not today.

Our new kitchen, love it!
Living Room, great natural light!
Walkway to our front door, gotta love grass and trees in Arizona.

#4 - Outings with the Girls
With family visiting from out of town and Mother's day, I had the chance to go out with my sisters-in-law and mother-in-law a number of times.  It is always fun to go out with them and chit-chat.  I never had sisters growing up so it is nice to have that female estrogen bonding time every couple of weeks.  Not to mention it is a good excuse to go out to eat, have a Chinese lady paint my toenails and give me a hot rock foot massage.


Jan, Amber & Connie
Me, Audrey and Natalie
 
#5 - Surprise Birthday Party
My brother Tyler's birthday was on May 25th (which just happens to be Gabriel's birthday too... I am the best sister giving my brother a new nephew to share his birthday as a birthday gift hehehe).  His wife AmiCheri wanted to throw a surprise birthday party for him the week before (on the 19th) and we were able to attend and help surprise him.   Gotta love surprise parties, especially when the kids continue to cry for a long time after everyone jumps out and says "Surprise!". 






#6 - Raggio & Mido
The cats celebrated their 1 year birthday beginning of June.  They are still just as cute as ever.  I couldn't resist putting in a few pictures of our "original" babies.
 

 
 
Yep, so that about covers my final weeks pre-momhood.  Next stop for me on my journey of life was to become a "mommy"... um I don't know if I am ready for one of these...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment