Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Random Ramblings of the Roaches

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Christmas fun

I am going to go back where I left off so that I do not miss anything and will have it written.  So, although it may be almost a month ago, here come the fun activities of our Christmas season. 

Christmas turned out a bit different from what Eric and I had originally planned.  Yet it was still just as enjoyable and memorable.  With the change from our original plans, it helped us to have a better Christmas that was more focused on the reason for the season, and I am grateful for that experience. 

I personally had to work Christmas Eve until about 5, which really was pointless because no one came into the center.  Oh well, another penny earned.  As soon as I got home, we hopped back in the car to head down to Tucson to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas with my parents and my brother.  My mom had made our traditional Christmas Eve lasagna and my brother had even cooked this ridiculously yummy tenderloin roast.  We spent the evening sitting by the fire talking about old family memories and having a good laugh.  My brother left at around 10ish to go back to his place while Eric and I did one of our family traditions.

We have decided that for every Christmas Eve we will get new pajamas...original I know.  A tradition that we like nevertheless.  So, we opened our pajamas and got comfy. 
I love new pajamas!  We decided not to jinx it and try to wait up for Santa, so we were in by before midnight, go us!

Christmas morning was spent stuffing our faces with our family favorite breakfast (well my favorite breakfast anyway) of waffles with strawberry sauce and cool whip.  Yummy!!  Then we headed over to my brother's home where we spent the majority of the day with him while he cooked his infamous smoked ribs.  After 2 movies and a nap, they were ready for the taking.  So, back in the car to my parents' home for our Christmas dinner.  I think I have a new favorite meal for Christmas night - smoked ribs!!  And not just any ribs mind you, but my brother Jason's ribs of godliness!! 
 They are literally that divine in taste, texture and essence!  Just look at the beauties:
None of us even touched the salads my mom had prepared because our plates were filled with the ribs.  I am just salivating looking at them.... I don't care where Eric and I end up with his Air Force career, I will fly from around the world just to come home to have my brother cook "his" ribs!  That mind you is a promise I will keep!

Christmas dinner nonetheless was sooo scrumptious.  After we had finished stuffing our faces, we finished off the evening opening a few gifts and participating in another family tradition: watching White Christmas.  My brothers might hate the movie, having seen it over 25 times (every year on Christmas) but I just love it along with my dad.  Some years it was only my dad and I and we still watched that movie.  I imagine in the future that it might only be my dad and I watching the movie, but that is quite alright with me. It is a classic and every time I watch it, especially with family or just my dad, I feel that my Christmas has been just right.

 Day after Christmas Eric and I returned back to Scottsdale and celebrated our own personal Christmas.
  With money being tight this year and not wanting for there to be nothing under the Christmas tree, I just wrapped some empty boxes of purchases we had made earlier in the year and we "opened presents".  Laugh all you want, but it totally rocked!  So what if we had been using the printer and the camera for over a month when we "opened" them, the thrill of opening presents was still there.  As far as I am concerned, Santa totally pulled through for us.


 Laugh all you want, but it totally rocked!  So what if we had been using the printer and the camera for over a month when we "opened" them, the thrill was still there.  I even got to open a stocking with way too much candy in it, which Eric and I are still working on consuming to this day.  Thank heavens for freezers. Besides, the cats enjoyed playing in the wrapping paper. 

Christmas was a success for the whole family.

Looking back, Christmas this year was just right.  More than anything, I am grateful for the opportunity I had once again, to celebrate the birth of my Savior and all that that means.  I am so very blessed from His life and ministry on the earth and His eternal gospel.  Even though Christmas only comes round one time a year, if I can maintain a spirit of Christ in my heart all year long, then that is all that really matters.   

No comments:

Post a Comment